Powered By Blogger

All Aboard the Queen Mary - Nautical Fashion

I didn't actually board the Queen Mary but I was nearby (can you see it behind me?) attending a birthday party for my beloved's grandmother. She celebrated her 75 years of being on this planet, a milestone if you ask me! For the party, I went with the side swept 30s inspired style and wore a nautical navy and white pleated dress. I'm not sure of the era of this dress. It has some serged seams which were introduced around the late 60s, it has a hand stitched hemline and it has an elastic waist band  so...perhaps late 60s, or perhaps not. take a guess!  You can't always be 100% sure, but I say, if it fits the bill, who cares? The sweater is Free People but I found it at a Goodwill and didn't pay Free People's price :P

I'll photograph my accessories in detail but I chose D'orsay style satin heels with a bow and rhinestones, a large rhinestone clustered ring (costume jewelry all the way!), rhinestone studs and a simple silver necklace. The belt actually didn't come with the dress, I had it already and while the blues aren't identical, it goes along pretty well.

I saw the kiddie cars and I couldn't resist.
 


After the party, I visited retro row (finally!) in Long Beach which is a block of vintage shops..so much fun to be had, so little time! I did pick up a few things though. Photos forthcoming! woo hoo!

7 comments:

goodhealthdiva said...

Oh my gosh you look sooo goooood! And I loooove your retro concept! Women used to be so elegant and it's so refreshing to see that in you! Just gorgeous and sweet!
Love,
your new fan @ www.goodhealthdiva.blogspot.com

Funbi said...

Lovely sis!!! Love love it ;)
Keep it up!


www.datfunkyfro.blogspot.com

Erika said...

I love it and look forward to seeing more inspiring styles to try for myself!

Jada said...

Sooo pretty!I love that outfit.

Unknown said...

You look so great! I love the ensemble you put together...and the hair...always FAB!

The Retro Natural said...

@ N'na, I agree, I'm shocked at how nice everyone looked back in the old days! I wanna see more of it!

@ Erika, Jada & Bianca, thank you for the kind compliments!

The Retro Natural said...

@Funbi, thanks! I love your Yoruba word of the week, that's such a nice concept..I'm gonna try to remember as many as I can! :)