Powered By Blogger

Hair Rolls: Adding Volume

I like my rolls as they are but sometimes you just want an extra boost. You've seen the roll in a previous post but I bet you didn't know I had foam tubing within my front roll.  Many everyday women (of all ethnicities - side note: don't trust auto correct, it will put elasticities for ethnicities. ok I'm done!) and even actresses wore various hair pieces way back when - especially when short on time! When I did my Gibson roll tutorial, decided to do one for the voluminous side roll as well.


Take a large section of hair and hold it out to the side prior. Position the foam tube or hair rat in the center.




Roll the tube/rat towards the back of your head, tuck the ends in towards your index fingers and secure with bobby pins. If you need to, you can pull the hair a bit to cover the tube/rat if it's showing. (The back section of hair was just in a bun, excuse the lack of style there!)


Have you been doing more retro hair styles lately? Have you gotten the hang of one or two that you've been wanting to try? I'm oh so curious to know! :)

~The Retro Natural





8 comments:

Nefertiti said...

I'm just loving this blog more and more, with each post. My hair is medium density, so I can definitely use an assist in the volume department. Thanks for this!

keke said...

Wow!I really love your style and you have some awesome hair tips. I just got a kinky curly sew in and I'm looking for fun ways to style it. I will definitely go pick up a hair tube/roll and try to do a few styles. I would really like to try a pompadour look. I think it will be pretty dope.

Keep up the fab work!

The Retro Natural said...

@ Nefertiti, I feel the same way, I can definitely use a boost..I don't think I could live without my lil secrets lol :)

@ Keke, thank you! You should definitely try a fun pomp for the summer, it'll be a nice effortless style to do! Sally's price for the donout is really great too..it's really large do you can cut it to make a tube and probably create 2 of them..my faux bang was so large I had to unroll the rub a bit and now I've got 1 medium and 1 large tube. :)

LoveNWright said...

Okay, so I am not going to be able to keep my hands out of my hair based on all these styles you've posted!! Super excited right now!!!

Kay @LoveNWright
lovenwright.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

After reading your hair posts, I'm going to put a ziplock in the bathroom to save my hair that's in my brush, so I can make a few of my own rats, and go retro, thanks!

The Retro Natural said...

@ LoveNWright, It's funny because I don't touch my hair as much when it's pinned up, quite the opposite eh? I touch it when it's down lol

@ Shreela, I think you'll be happy ya did..I don't mine the foam one but I do prefer one made of my own hair, it's worked out much better for me..I think about 5 months is a good enough time to collect the right amount of hair :)

Kels said...

I was already a fan of your YT page & now I'm loving this blog. I've been experimenting with victory rolls & with my hair rat. Can't wait to try this style.

Also, it is totally all your fault that I purchased three snoods on Amazon - you are inspiring my hair SO much right now!

The Retro Natural said...

@ Mommydiva, why thank you so much for the kind words! I'm glad you found the this blog and I hope it continues to help ya with the beautiful and sometimes complex world of retro hairstyles :) I've been wantng to get a few more snoods myself, they're addictive eh? You can totally blame the new found addiction on me!